DETOXIFICATION with Alejandro Junger


    Those who know me since I was a kid can confirm that I was a VERY picky eater (to say the least); It has been a long road to learn and reprogram my mind about food and nutrition. Food to me was a necessity, a checkmark to cross; far from thinking about its benefits, it all came down to filling in my spot in the table and staying in for the “sobre mesa” (which I´ve always loved).

    But then I became a mother. And motherhood changed my whole perspective about food. From this point on, It was not enough to just eat and feel “full”. Satisfaction became a topic. I noticed that I was filling up my stomach, but I was not complying to my nutrition. I was eating on a superficial level. My curiosity about health and awareness broadened, and Gwyneth Paltrow, a mutual friend (mine virtual, his for real), introduced me to Dr. Alejandro Junger.
 

   Originally from Uruguay, graduated there from Medical School, continued his studies in New York City on Internal Medicine and Cardiology. Upon having some unexpected personal health issues, he went to India and started studying eastern medicine. Three bestselling books after, the Clean program founder has captivated my attention and reeducated me about eating as a form of nurturing my body, and keep overall health as a top priority.

    I read his book Clean, explored his points of view on food diversity, portions, schedules, etc. It was a LOT to process let me tell ya. So I started with a 7-day CLEAN program to experience his learnings first hand. I absolutely loooved it. From then on, I do a detoxification program twice a year and it has work wonders on me. Alejandro makes a compelling case about the gut being the source to most of our symptoms, and how crucial it is to keep it as healthy as possible. This is why I chose DETOXIFICATION as my one word to describe how his work has impacted my health and hopefully yours too in the near future.


Viviana: Hola Alejandro! We´ll do our interview in English this time around to reach a wider audience. I'm thankful that you jumped on board to enlighten us with your knowledge. Even though you started your educational path through Internal Medicine and Cardiology, why did you decided to take a more alternative or holistic path through functional medicine?

Alejandro: It ended being a necessity. I got sick, was diagnosed with depression, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and allergies; And with that came a 7 prescription list of medications, It did not make sense to me intuitively. Looking for a different solution, I had to expand my horizons...

V: Some state that we are loaded with cellular information when we´re born, do you believe in genetic predisposition?
A: Genetic predisposition is a fact, regarding of my belief in it or not. 

V: I´ve heard you say that, like in nature, when plants grow, food represents the soil and the gut is the root. Can you extend on this analogy comparing nature to the human body?
A: The gut is where we absorb nutrients from food just like a plant absorbs nutrients from soil through their roots. The analogy is natural and organic.

V: Would you say that our gut is the second brain?
A: There are more neurons within and around the gut than inside your skull, which is why many refer to the gut as a second brain. 

V: How would you define body inflammation?
A: Inflammation is an adaptation and survival mechanism that is vital for life. When it goes out of control, it corrodes the body from the inside. That is why it is crucial to contain it.

V: Why is it necessary in your opinion to have a body detoxification process, and how often should we do a cleanse?
A: The body is born with a natural detox system to eliminate endogenous toxins that are generated through our metabolism and external toxins that we are exposed to. That is nature’s design.

V: About your CLEAN program… This question might be a cliché for you, but why 21 days?
A: Twenty one days is the minimum amount of time needed to start a new habit or break a habit, whether habit of behavior or of physiology. 

V: Me and my sisters have done several of your CLEAN programs, and we noticed that amounts or food portions are not always mentioned; Is serving size relevant to you?
A: Quality is more important than quantity, but quantity also counts. 

V: Can you please explain to us why do you suggest a 12-hour overnight fasting period?
A: The twelve hour period is necessary to give the body a rest from digestion, which is the only way the detox system can get really intense, work properly and effectively. 

V: What are the most common body responses after a detoxification process?
A: Clear skin, a glow, softer hair, deputing (inflammation both internal and external), better sleep, weight loss, better digestion, clearer mind, more energy, and many many more.

V: Slowly but surely I´ve integrated your suggestions on myself and my family´s daily nutrition; I hope you keep on spreading awareness about a healthy gut and overall wellness. Thank you so much for your time...
A: You are welcome. Thank you for inviting me, makes my day!


To get his books and/or CLEAN program, visit:

www.cleanprogram.com


To interact with Alejandro and get personalized

recommendations, log in at:

www.drjunger.com


To watch our Instagram LIVE interview about the Immune System in spanish, click

here: https://youtu.be/ui4MbZyzTiU


Comments

Popular Posts